PCT Day 76... Camp Stories


The day began at 5:30 am and the first 5 miles or so were spent hiking down into a valley and then up through a burned area. I ran into south bounder (Sobo), who gave me a heads up about the burned patch ahead.  He said he camped there last night and was now the dirtiest he has ever been. From that description, I thought it was going to pretty bad. Well, it was definitely dusty, but not worse than some of the other burned areas I have passed.


After climbing out of the valley, the trail drew near Mt. Jefferson and went through some meadows. It was absolutely amazing. I wish that I could have just called it a day, but since it was not even noon, I had to keep going. After a short, but steep climb up to a ridge, the trail headed down again. As it did, the trail crossed a couple patches of snow. This was the first time that I had to cross snow in a long time. Like yesterday, it was mostly cloudy but unlike yesterday, it was muggy. 


Around 3:30, I was a short distance off the trail near Olallie Resort, where I bought a couple of extra snacks and filled up with water. It was a nice place and I met a south bounder named Zack. He had started from Canada on the 21 of June, the same day I entered the Sierras. He was the first Sobo through hiker that I really had a chance to talk with.


9 miles after Olallie Lake, I reached a stream where I was going to camp. It turned out that about 15 other people had the same idea. It was the most crowded campsite that I have stayed at so far. There was about 8 Sobos and 7 weekend hikers.  After some time looking, I managed to find a place to pitch my tarp. 

I talked with the other thru hikers while eating dinner.  We talked mostly of books and what we listened to while hiking. One of the ladies, whose trail name was Nails, had to memorize the opening to Dante’s Inferno in Italian back in the 7th grade, and she still remember it. It was super cool.  She said that she had no idea what it meant any more, but she could still recite it.


One of the guy’s trail name was hot pants. He got his trail name when about a week in to the trail, after 5 days of continuous rain, he had gotten so tired of wet underpants that he had dried them over his camp stove.

I was up till about 8:30 talking with them before finally get into my sleeping bag. The weekend hikers got into their tents a few minutes later.

Tent site to tent site

Miles hiked: 33.8

Where’s Matthew? Click here