Day 108...Celebration and Travel Home


Max and I got up at 4:55 am to a star-filled sky at the base of Mt. Katahdin. Mom and Dad were going to pick us up at 5:15 am to head to Boston. So Max and I packed up our tent and sleeping bags as quick as we could. We were right on time to our meeting point and they were early. We headed out of Baxter State Park, which was about an hour drive as the road was a single lane gravel track.

As we drove to the entrance, we saw the line of cars trying to get into Baxter State Park. Man, I would hate to be the last in line. I have no idea what time you would have had to show up to be at the front of the line.

We stopped on our way to Boston at McDonald's for some breakfast. I have not eaten at McDonalds for some time. I wasn't sure what to order, so I told Dad I of would just have three of whatever he ordered.

We arrived at my Bill and Claudia Diesing's house just before noon. They have two energetic kids, Kai and Zoe. Plant and I had stayed at Bill's brother, David Diesing's house, while hiking back in New York. The first thing I did was play foosball with Kai, he sure was good. First he beat Joshua, then he beat me and Joshua, and then he beat Joshua, Max and I.  After playing, they were extremely nice and let us all take showers before a wonderful celebration lunch.

It was an extremely relaxing afternoon as we sat around the table on their back deck overlooking a grove of trees. We had a very fancy steak lunch with small glass of champaign to toast a successful expedition. My first time having a glass of any real alcohol besides communion wine. I can't say I liked it too much. 

Around 3:45 we had to say goodbye and head to the airport. We were very late in the boarding, so we spread out in the plane. Joshua and I got seats together and we listened to Harry Potter, the Prisoner of Azkaban. Joshua and I sat in the very last row of seats.

We landed in rough weather from the outer bands of Hurricane Harvey in Austin at 9:45 pm.  Our grandparents, Mimi and Papa, picked us up and we got home around 10:30 pm. My first time home since leaving on May 10th. Sunny, our dog, was very excited to see me.

Miles Hiked 0 

Baxter State Park to Austin, Texas